Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sewing stuff

Every first Saturday night of the month in the Short North (near where I used to live and the Institute building) is the gallery hop. This is where we can walk around all the shops and galleries etc because they stay open extra late and look at all the stuff that I never buy because 1. Its way overpriced or 2. Its made from really nice stuff and I can't afford it. As we went into one of the stores I saw this cute little handmade messenger style purse bag (whatever you want to call it). I took a look at the price and was shocked (It was $50) and I thought to myself..."I could make that and even if I sold it for $25 I would still make a profit"...


So last week at church we had a service auction to benefit the Tsunami victims in Japan and the Ronald McDonald House here in Columbus and so I decided to make these little bags to auction off at the silent auction...I think they turned out pretty cute. They didn't go for $50, but afterwards one of the girls who lost the bid asked if she could pay me to make her one...How much would you be willing to pay for something like this? and what would you call this style of bag?


With that said, my friend Sarah and I are tossing around the idea of opening our own little ETSY shop...except I think we both realize, the hardest part for the two of us will be coming up with a name that is not cheesy, lame or dumb. So I will make one of these bags for whomever comes up with the name we agree to use. Post your ideas in the comment section and we will choose a winner (if we like one on of the names) on May 1st.

2 comments:

  1. Nifty by Nature

    or

    Simply Kitschy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!?!? Seriously, nobody commented to win one of these sweet sacks? Hey - there is a name... Sweet Sacks! Or you could combine your names and call your shop "Alysarah's Satchels."

    Ok - it's way past May 1st, and they could both be in that cheesy catagory - but I'd LOVE to win one! I love them, you are so talented! Did you settle on an asking price... if so, let me know cause I may need to place an order!

    Becca

    PS - Thanks for your support of our refugees here in Japan. It has been incredible the amounts of support we have seen through this tragety.

    ReplyDelete